1950 - 1959

World War II brought global changes, collegiate athletics included.  Training techniques were changing.  Equipment was changing.  So too were the students entering the University.

By 1950 the crew team was enjoying the first full year in a new, state of the art building - Conibear Shellhouse.  George Pocock, now in his fifth decade with the team, had his own shop on site, and Al Ulbrickson had an office with a view.  Hiram Conibear would have been speechless (momentarily).

But even though the complexion of rowing was rapidly changing, the fifties would be traditional in one sense:  the events and results would be unpredictable.  In fact, the decade served up one of the most improbable of victories, and would end with the retirement of two of the greatest legends in the sport.  These events alone would thrust the program in a new direction, and would lay the groundwork for the modern age of Washington rowing.


With the equipment moved in the summer of '49, and crew members reporting to the new shellhouse in droves during the fall, there was only one problem:  there weren't any docks.  Even by the winter, with George Pocock now ensconced in his new shop (the northernmost boat bay of the shellhouse), the docks were not installed.  Probably all the better for him, as he became comfortable in his new, modern surroundings, and produced two new shells, the Tyee and the Totem.

The men, however, would have to wait.  The winter of 1949-50 is still the coldest on record in Seattle, and the blizzard of January 1950 is considered one of the major weather events of the 20th century in Washington State (see Washington State Top Ten 20th Century Weather Events.) The crewhouse opening iced over and stayed that way.  A desperate Stan Pocock, in his first year as freshmen coach (Gus Eriksen had left for the head coaching job at Syracuse), had the freshmen lay a path with scrap lumber across the frozen marsh out to the lake so they could get on the water.

By mid-winter the docks were in and the varsity was out on the lake as well.  To make up for lost time, Ulbrickson lengthened workouts and powered through spring break with two-a-days.  A dual race with Wisconsin on Lake Washington in April was an opportunity for both schools to hone their racing skills;  unfortunately, true to form, the weather was so miserable on the Seward Park course that Wisconsin's varsity almost sunk - forcing the officials to stop the race, with Washington leading midway through.  It was not raced over.

But the Dual on the Estuary, later in the year, featured the highest level of collegiate boat racing with both California and Washington boating exceptional, experienced crews.  In the freshmen race, Washington prevailed by open water, but the JV's could not overcome the traditionally quick starting Bears, losing by open water to a strong crew.  The varsity also fell victim to Cal's start, but slowly inched their way back.  By two miles, the crews were even, and together sprinted to the finish with Washington winning by about a half length.  It was one of those rare three mile races where the crews were never separated by more than a few seats, Washington prevailing against a deep Cal crew on the strength of Ulbrickson's unrelenting spring conditioning campaign.

The IRA's were moved to the Ohio River at Marietta, Ohio in 1950 to alleviate the concerns as discussed in 1949.  There were more places to stay for the number of competitors (albeit veteran's housing with outdoor plumbing), and the river current could be controlled on race day using upriver dams.  Well, most of the time that is.  But not on June 17th, 1950.  Due to torrential rain storms, the Muskingum River (which entered the Ohio at the one mile mark of the course) flooded.  As it entered the course, it carried with it anything that could float (use your imagination).  All the events would now have to be shortened.

Over a course of about one and a half miles (a little longer), the freshmen began the day with a two length win, never seriously challenged and completing an undefeated season.  The JV's followed with a surprise win in their shortened two mile event.  The abbreviated (two mile) varsity race went bad at the start - Wisconsin, California, and Stanford pulling out to an open water lead.  With less distance in the race, this could have been devastating for Washington, but the Huskies settled and maintained their position, watching as Navy hit a marker buoy and dropped out.  The last half mile was all Washington, as Ulbrickson's men just powered through the competition to win by three lengths going away.  As an indication of the continued dominance of western rowing, Cal, Wisconsin, and Stanford finished second through fourth in that order.

The men of 1950 completed the fourth sweep of the national championships in the history of the program.  The conditioning of all three crews was exceptional, but it was the experience in the varsity and JV boats that made these teams so unique.  In fact, due to their 1947 post-season race as an (almost) all freshmen varsity, Norm Buvick, Rod Johnson, Bob Young, and Al Morgan - all members of the 1950 national champion varsity eight - received their fourth varsity letter.  They, along with JV oar and 1948 gold medalist Warren Westlund, joined Hal Waller (1915) and Bart Lovejoy (1909) as the only men in the first fifty years to do so.


The freshmen sweeping under the Fruitvale Bridge in victory at the finish of the two mile Dual on the Estuary.  Tyee photo.


Ken Walters and Al Ulbrickson chat.  Tyee photo.



Turnout on one of the few calm days in the winter of 1950.  Tyee photo.



The varsity, left to right: Al Morgan (cox), Roger Baird, Rod Johnson, Al Ulbrickson Jr., Ken Walters, Bob Young, John Audett, and Carl Lovsted.  Tyee photo.


The junior varsity, left to right: Tren Griffin, cox, Charlie McCarthy, Warren Helgerson, Phil Horrocks, George Waiss, Dick Jordan, Warren Westlund, and Owen Miller.  Art Griffin was coxswain for the Wisconsin race, won by multiple lengths by this national champion team.  Tyee photo.


The varsity lightweight squad, left to right:  Bud McGinnis, John Goodfellow, Jim Ruttner, Jack Russ, Jim Beardsley, Dewie McBride, Jack Scholl, Dick Scales, and coxswain Scott Cassill.    Coached by Don Landon, this tough and experienced crew twice defeated OSU and UBC in home and away events.  Tyee photo.


Stan Pocock took the freshmen job from Gus Ericksen and led the frosh to a fourth straight victory in the Steward's Cup at the IRA.  It was Pocock who in 1950  introduced the first ham'n'egger - the randomly drawn boatings and weekly intrasquad races that are featured just as often today.  Tyee photo.




The start of the 1950 varsity race.  Note the almost identical start to the 1951 varsity race (below, at the end of the 1951 photo section).  Take a good look at Washington - the stakeboat personnel desperately holding on (just like 1951) - with oarsmen in eight different positions on the 'first' stroke.  Wisconsin took an open water lead after this, but the Huskies settled down and reeled them in - and the rest of the field - to win going away.  Same start... but significantly different outcome in 1951.  Carl Lovsted scrapbook. (posted 8/31/09)



With the resurgence of the Stanford program in 1950 and a fourth place finish at the IRA, the team came north with California to race on the Seward Park course in the spring of '51.  Not since 1916 had the three schools lined up together for the traditional "triangular" regatta on Lake Washington.

The start was about as close as Stanford would come to the competition, but as a burgeoning club crew it was that much better that they were back.  In both the freshmen and JV races, California stormed out in front, with Washington pulling back through the Bears to win by open water.  In the varsity event, the Huskies were ahead by open water with less than a mile gone, and cruised home in 15:39.  But the JV's time of 15:29 - ten seconds faster than the varsity - indicated the challenge of their race and the depth of Ulbrickson's squad.

Marietta was once again home for the IRA's, and this time the Ohio River itself was utterly out of control.  Upstate rains led to a thirty foot rise in the river in twenty-four hours.  The stake boats in the current were useless - made more so when they washed away by the evening.  Debris was everywhere.  After the Navy Plebes crossed in front of a navigation buoy when lining up for the freshmen race, their boat was sunk in the collision.  Rusty Callow - in his first year as the head coach at Navy (after two decades at Penn) - was at the wrong end of a trifecta of sorts:  all of his crews either hit buoys or otherwise wrecked before even racing.

The races were again shortened to two miles, but with the course going downstream the "real" distance - i.e. the number of strokes required to get from the start to the finish - was significantly shorter.  Overnight the race had become a sprint.  With the freshmen race now postponed, the JV race started in near chaos, with California winning over a re-vamped Husky crew (two alternates were switched in two days before the race) in second.  Navy sank after sheering off the rudder of the Princeton boat, the Princeton coxswain attempting to steer his crew down the swollen river with his hands.

The varsity race was even more bizarre.  The stakeboats were rocking wildly in the current.  As the starter screamed the commands, the boats were off, with Wisconsin moving to a length lead in the first twenty strokes ((1) - see photo below)).  Washington put in a gallant effort, but could not make up for the lost time.  The Badgers, coached by former Husky Norm Sonju (see 1925-1927) who had recently moved from an assistant under Stork Sanford at Cornell, finished the race in 7:50 - about half the time of a regular three miler.

The freshmen race was pulled off at dusk.  The stake boats were somewhere near Cincinnati by then.  At the floating start, Washington sunk their blades in to the water to meet not water, but the roof of a house.  Thrashing wildly, they dislodged themselves, and in a race reflecting maturity beyond their years, coolly rowed back through every crew on the course, finally flying by MIT and Navy (Navy had borrowed another boat) to win in the last 200 meters.

Needless to say, that was it for Marietta.  A town that had poured their heart and soul into putting on a national event just could not beat back the elements.  Ironically, a year later while the crews waited out the delays on the windy shore of Lake Onandoga - the new site of the IRA's - the Ohio River at Marietta sat blissfully at "pool stage", lapping at the river bank like a pond.

Loyal Shoudy had died earlier in the year, and in his absence the banquet died too.  But this would be the only year that would happen.  The banquet was quickly revived in 1953, and would serve for another twenty years as a tribute to Loyal Shoudy, and as a tribute to each young man who represented Washington at the national championships.


The varsity tosses coxswain Tren Griffin into Lake Washington after the sweep at the Dual - turned Triangular after Stanford came north for the first time in four decades.  Left to right:  Ulbrickson, Baird, Cameron, Walters, McIntyre, Fletcher, and Lovsted (missing - Callaghan).  Tyee photo.




Tren Griffin, Roger Baird, and Ulbrickson.  Tyee photo.


The Griffin twins, Tren and Art.  Both coxswains went on to medical school, finishing their rowing careers in 1951.  Tyee photo.




Turnout on the lake.  Tyee photo.



The varsity on the apron, left to right:  Ulbrickson, Cameron, Baird, Callaghan, Walters, Griffin, Fletcher, Lovsted, McIntyre.  Tyee photo.



The JV crew vs. California:  Doug Putnam, Dick Wahlstrom, Dave Nielsen, Phil Horrocks, Warren Helgerson, Dick Jordan, George Waiss, Howie Kellogg, coxswain Art Griffin.  Tyee photo.


The class of '54, left to right:  Roland Camfield, Keith Riley, Ted Frost, William John, Ivar Birkeland, James Howay, Donald Backman, John Cahill, Bob Witter, cox.  Tyee photo.


The team at King St. Station in downtown Seattle waiting to board the Hiawatha for the trip east to Marietta.  Guy Harper scrapbook.


One of the hundreds of posters adorning the city of Marietta, Ohio for the 1951 IRA.  The city poured it's heart and soul into this event but just could not beat back the forces of nature.  Photo: Guy Harper scrapbook. 




The 1951 IRA program.  Included is the back cover, in case you're in the market for a '51 Nash.  Guy Harper scrapbook.


UW Freshmen after the 1951 IRA win at Marietta, Ohio.   (from left to right) Jim Howay, Roland Camfield, William John, Ivar Birkeland, Gordon Hardy, Ted Frost, Keith Riely, Guy Harper, Al Ulbrickson and John Lyon Collyer who was responsible for the medals.  Guy Harper scrapbook.


Bob Witter, Guy Harper, Al Ulbrickson and Mr. O. K. Lynn of the B. F. Goodrich Corporation.  Guy Harper scrapbook.



The lightweights, coached by Chuck Moriarty, went undefeated against OSU and the Vancouver Rowing Club in 1951.  Left to right:  Stu Barker, Ron Walter, Tom Thies, Jerry Rogers, Jim Ruttner, Lee Elmquist, Bill Gross, and Bill Heikinen.  Tyee photo.



At the Canadian International Regatta in Kelowna B.C., Stu Barker, Tom Thies, Eric Fonkalsrud and Charles Wynn won the straight four for the Henley Mile, the eleventh year in a row Washington won this lightweight event.  Tyee photo.




A map of the course how it is supposed to look... and the way it actually looked, with the Muskingum River meeting the Ohio in a wall of mud water, the second year in a row the river course flooded.  Take a look at that photo and imagine the sound that water is making, then imagine rowing on it about a mile downstream from here.  Carl Lovsted Collection.


The men loading the shells into the modified cattle cars, then hours later boarding the Hiawatha for the trip home. Carl Lovsted Collection.

Footnote (see reference in the chapter above):

(1)  There are varying recollections of the start of this race.  Jim Lemmon, in his book The Log of Rowing at the University of California, 1870-1987, on pg. 45 states "In the varsity races Wisconsin, swept off the stakeboat at the start, won this rodeo...".  Stan Pocock, in his book "Way Enough", Recollections of a Life in Rowing, on page 83 recalls a picture where, "The Wisconsin boat was a full length ahead of the other crews, none of whom even had their oars in the water."  But Brad Taylor, Wisconsin historian, has researched this race, and says that the Wisconsin crew was under strict instructions not to jump, and they did not.  Keep in mind the unbelievable conditions on that day as well.   But, just for good measure, if anyone has a picture of the start of that race (1951, not 1950), we would like to include it here...


...and here it is (posted 8/17/07), the AP photos of the V8 race, from Guy Harper's 1951 scrapbook, you be the judge.  In "The Start" photo, Wisconsin is in the lane second from the bottom, and appear to be on their second or third stroke, while Washington and Cal struggle to break loose of the grip of the stakeboats, pulling them downstream.  Also note the almost uncanny similarity of this photo and the photo of the start of the 1950 varsity race (above).  (click on the image to expand):



From Guy Harper '54:

It was 1951 and our Freshman year at the UW.  The team that competed in the IRA at Marietta, Ohio that year, included cox Bob Witter, Stroke Guy Harper, 7 Keith Reilly, 6 Gordon Hardy, 5 Ted Frost, 4 Ivar Birkeland, 3 Skip John, 2 Roland Camfield, Bow Jim Howay. 

The morning of June 16, 1951 was windy with the Ohio River clogged with all sorts of wood and logs that came down stream from the recent rain storms up river.  The Frosh race was first however the Navy boat sank and our race was rerun later that day.  The Navy Plebes were so good, that they beat their Varsity boat--so it was thought that Rusty Callow had the boat of his dreams.  When our race started, we were behind several boats and Stan Pocock, following in a coaching launch, says his heart just sank--to the point that he didn't want to watch the race and turned away.  Half way through, however, George Pocock turned to him and advised that we were picking off the other shells one by one and that he may want to watch! 

One by one Bob Witter, the cox, passed the other boats.  We crossed the finish line first, followed by MIT and then Navy.  The Frosh boat was the only Washington winner that year at the IRA Regatta.   Stan was really delighted and he was the only crew coach that had never lost a race--with a 10 to 0 record! It was a most enjoyable return to Seattle with lots of newspaper articles.

We continue to enjoy the sport of rowing even to this day.  In 1988, several of us formed the Ancient Mariner Rowing Club.  This group attends races on the West Coast including Canada and has won several gold medals for their efforts.  Together with several other rowing clubs, The Pocock Rowing Center was built.  Today, many rowers of all ages and levels enjoy this fine facility.  It is one of the finest sports ever created--thanks to the Pococks!

   Guy Harper Seattle, Washington  December 16, 2003



Since the revival of the IRA's after WWII in 1947, Washington was undefeated in the freshmen event.  For six years running the Steward's Cup was home at Washington.  The varsity squad was dominated by veteran oarsmen and national champions heading into another Olympic year.

So it was with confidence that the crews made it to the Estuary in April.  California, however, had other things in mind, training with a vengeance throughout the spring.  The Husky freshmen, in their opener, were defeated by a quarter length - the first time the freshmen had lost to Cal since 1941.  The JV's were subsequently defeated, leaving it up to a shocked varsity to hold off the sweep.  They could not;  California, stroking smoothly down the course, won by over four lengths.  This was the first sweep by California in the history of the Dual.

A stunned Washington crew boarded the trains for home.  A team with such extraordinary potential had face-planted so abruptly that it would take nothing short of a miracle to fix the psychology at the boathouse.  As the year progressed, Ulbrickson became visibly frustrated and uncharacteristically explosive.  By the beginning of June he had dismissed half of the team.

Gus Eriksen had convinced the IRA Stewards to move the national championships to Lake Onondaga at Syracuse after the two-year debacle at Marietta.  The men stayed at the fairgrounds, and temporary boathouses were erected at a nearby park on the lake.  The lake was long and the community supportive.  The only problems were wind, stifling heat, and a sickeningly polluted lake;  although after Marietta, if you didn't hit debris the size of a house, you were happy.

Ulbrickson took only his varsity and JV, the freshmen staying home due to their loss on the Estuary, and was forced to make last minute changes to these crews due to injury.  Although the races were delayed due to the wind, the JV's rallied in their three-miler to come up short only to Navy.  The varsity, never able overcome the temperature and humidity, nor shed the baggage heaped on them at the Estuary, fell to an almost unbelievable seventh place.

Navy swept the events that year, and the 1952 victory would be one of 29 consecutive wins by this crew known as the "Great Eight".  Rusty Callow, taking the head coaching job at Navy in 1951, had focused on this group as freshmen; he took them straight over to Worcester following the 1952 IRA's for the Olympic Trials and they mowed down everyone on the 2000 meter course.  Washington made the finals, but finished open water behind Navy and Princeton.  Click here for more on a recent reunion of Navy's Great Eight - an exceptional group of men coached by an exceptional man.

Ulbrickson, after the IRA's, dismantled his varsity crew, taking four of his elite upper class oarsmen - seniors Carl Lovsted, and Al Ulbrickson Jr. and juniors Dick Wahlstrom and Fil Leanderson, added JV cox Al Rossi, and entered them in the four trials.  The eight became an all-sophomore varsity, who, although losing at the trials, gained some important racing experience that week.

The four faced off against tough competition, including five members of the 1948 squad (including Warren Westlund and Bob Will) returning to the trials as a Seattle Athletic Club entry.  Through two preliminarily races the crews advanced, to ultimately meet in the final.  Ulbrickson's hand picked crew finally defeated their older brethren in the final, and were off to Helsinki as the third crew representing Washington at the Olympics.

In Helsinki, the four went on to win the the bronze medal in a close race, falling to Czechoslovakia and Switzerland in the final.  The "Great Eight" won the gold, as did Charlie Logg Jr. in the pair, son of the former Washington captain (1921) and long time crew coach at Rutgers.


George Pocock, forty years after his first visit with Hiram Conibear in 1912, now at work in his new shop on the second floor of Conibear Shellhouse.  Tyee photo.


Turnout on the lake.  Tyee photo.

At the Conibear docks.  Cox-Dick Boyce, Guy Harper, Keith Riley, Al Ulbrickson Jr, Phil Horrocks, Ted Frost, Carl Lovsted, Ivar Birkland, Jim Howay--bow.  Guy Harper scrapbook.



The JV's for the Cal Dual, left to right:  Fil Lenaderson, George Clarke, Roland Camfield, Phil Horrocks, Bill Cameron, Dick Wahlstrom, John Thompson, Eric Fonkalsrud, Al Rossi, cox.  Tyee photo.


Class of '55 freshmen prior to the Cal race:  Clayton Robinson, Dick Greene, Dick Lacy, Bud Moore, Griff Steiner, Al Holt, Dave Anderson, John Klassel, Pete lane (cox).    Tyee photo.



The team relaxing outside the trooper's barracks prior to the Olympic trials.  Tyee photo.



The 1952 IRA program and Olympic Trials program.  The back covers are included just for historical reference - check out the Boeing 377 Stratocruiser on the Pan Am ad.  Guy Harper scrapbook.


The four winning the trials on Lake Quinsigamond by open water over a second place Navy crew.  Through various communication breakdowns and misunderstandings, the crew got to Helsinki to find they basically did not have a coach.  Although Husky alum Stork Sanford did watch the team a couple of times, it was a self-coached crew that won bronze at these Olympics.  Tyee photo.


The U.S. Four with coxswain, left to right:  Carl Lovsted, Al Ulbrickson Jr., Dick Wahlstrom, Fil Leanderson and Al Rossi (cox).  Lovsted, due to a passport snafu, would catch the last plane to Helsinki with the swim team (see adjoining telegram), joining his teammates just days before the first heat.  Carl Lovsted Collection.

Helsinki in the summer is pleasant (temps in the mid 70's), and, due to the high latitude (about the same as Anchorage, AK), receives up to 20 hours of daylight in July.  The city rolled out the red carpet for the athletes, the welcome to the Olympic Village (shown here) including the following statement in English:  "This village will be your home for the duration of a few summer days.  Out of the discipline and spirit of true sportsmanship radiating from the teams, there will be born the cosy (sic) atmosphere of social unity that will constitute an indispensable asset in helping you to concentrate your physical and mental faculties upon the ultimate mobilization of strength on the Olympic arenas."  Carl Lovsted Collection.

Local heroes with their mothers at one of the many public appearances for this team.  The invitation for the 1952 Senior Reception, held by the alumni association, is signed by Alumni Director R. Bronsdon Harris... better known on these pages as "Curly" Harris, coxswain and team captain, class of '31. Carl Lovsted Collection.

The Olympic program for July 20th, 1952, and the medal ceremony for the 4+ at Meilahti, the venue for the rowing competition.  The original venue was deemed too windy for FISA standards, so a temporary grandstand was set up for the races, and barges were used to shelter the outside lanes.  Carl Lovsted Collection.

After coming from behind to defeat France, Norway, and Argentina in the semi-finals, the crew, with this American flag (48 stars) flying from the bow, fell just feet short of Switzerland for the silver and about three seconds behind gold medalist Czechoslovakia in the finals.  This tough and determined group of young men were inducted into the Husky Hall of Fame in 1998.  Carl Lovsted Collection.


Carl Lovsted's U.S. team jersey and medal from the 1952 Helsinki Olympic Games.  WRF photo.



Lovsted Dedication Reel 2 HD-HD from Washington Rowing on Vimeo.


Carl Lovsted sat down in 2013 to talk about his Husky career and the impact Washington Rowing had on him.  He passed away in November of that year, and this video was put together in March of 2015 for a boat dedication in his honor.  Here is some of what I wrote on Huskycrew on his passing:

"Carl’s impact on the Washington Rowing program is immeasurable.  His generosity, from the scholarship endowments he created to “chief coffee maker” at the Steward’s Enclosure, was boundless.  He will, however, be remembered by most for his strength of character, and as the embodiment of what it meant to be a Steward of the program.  "I got so much out of the experience that helped me in my life that I've always thought that I was simply acting on my responsibility. I still do,” said Carl in a 2008 interview.

Carl Lovsted was a friend of Washington Rowing, and in so doing became a friend and mentor to many, many people associated with it, across multiple generations.  As is the case with exceptional people, his loss will not only be felt personally by the many he touched in his life, but by the entirety of our program."

he 2008 SWEEP article nominating him as one of the most influential people in the history of Washington Rowing, is here - First Family - A Husky Profile. It is important to add here that Carl would likely feel uncomfortable with this amount of attention drawn to himself:  he always stressed whenever he talked about his rowing career, how important his teammates were to him and that without them, none of the success he enjoyed would have been possible.


Determination mixed with trepidation is probably a good way to describe the mentality at Conibear in the fall of '52.  Even though Washington was represented at the Olympics, most all of the confidence this team had was doused on the Estuary in 1952.  Ulbrickson was equally unimpressed;  his back and other ailments were allegedly causing him a significant amount of discomfort at the time and that didn't help either.

By the springtime, the men had moved surplus bunk beds into the lounge area of the shellhouse and many of the squad moved in for spring break.  Although feeding the men was a problem (a former merchant marine took up the duties during the week), Carmelia MacNichols, a friend of an athlete's mother, took on the challenge for the rest of the year. (1,3)  Room and board was now available at the crewhouse for the first time since Conibear's men moved into the old lighthouse on Lake Union in 1910 - and was an instant morale booster.

The crews met California on Lake Washington with revenge in their eyes.  The freshmen and JV's won soundly, and the varsity, likely being reminded on virtually every stroke of their stinging defeat on the Estuary a year earlier, punished the Bears by seven lengths.

By late May the third boat and the JV's had improved enough to be matching the varsity's speed.  By the time they got to Syracuse, Ulbrickson felt compelled to race off his varsity and JV's;  he did so Thursday night before the races on Saturday.  The three mile race ended in another "tie" since it was so dark and the boats were close.  The varsity got the nod this time, but "that contest cooked the varsity's goose" says Stan Pocock (2).

The varsity turned in a good race on June 20th, falling short to Navy's "Great Eight" and an improving Cornell squad.  But the strong and experienced JV's dominated their race start to finish, and the freshmen returned the Steward's Cup back to Washington with an open water victory over Cornell and Princeton.  The combined finishes were enough for the men to bring home the Ten Eyck trophy - the award for overall highest placing team at the IRA.

The team had turned the corner over spring break and never looked back.  Most impressive, and a hallmark of Ulbrickson, was the depth of this squad.  He would take that depth - and that momentum - with him into the next year.


The Class of '54 winning the Varnell Trophy on Class Day.  Guy Harper scrapbook.



The freshmen stroking to an open water victory against Cal and showing the form that brought the Steward's Cup back to Washington a month later.  Tyee photo.


The JV with open water over Cal in an eleven length win on the Seward Park course.  Tyee photo.



A familiar pose from Ulbrickson, with George and Stan looking on.  Guy Harper scrapbook.




The varsity prior to the Cal race.  Guy Harper scrapbook.




Fil Leanderson, captain in 1953, finished his career with two varsity letters and an Olympic bronze medal.  Tyee photo.




The first frosh boat and IRA champions, back:  Andonian (cox), Purnell, Backer, Peterson, and Wailes.  Front:  Hart, Thomas, French, and Lamb.  Tyee photo.



The second frosh crew, back: Waters (cox), Eagon, Clarke, Walker, Pratt. Front: Scheumann, Hanson, Kachlein, Ingham.  Tyee photo.


VBC Commodore Skip John raises the VBC flag over the shellhouse to dedicate their new living quarters.  Fil Leanderson and Dick Wahlstrom, with the support of George Pocock and the coaches, initiated the effort during spring break of 1953 that ultimately led to crew members living at the shellhouse year around.  Tyee photo.



Underscoring the effort required by the leaders of the Varsity Boat Club to provide room and board for the team, here is the duplicate form, kept by Dick Wahlstrom, submitted to the IRS reporting wages for the spring quarter of 1953.  Note the box checked "yes" when asked if they expect to pay taxable wages in the future, with the confident comment "will open in fall".  The crewhouse did open that fall, and the tradition of the team living together under the VBC banner at Conibear continued through to the 90's, when NCAA rules and other issues forced the closure of the dormitory.  See 1990's (specifically 1995).  Thank you Rebecca Wahlstrom.




The first lightweight squad, left to right:  John Baker, Ron Teed, Tom Thies, Bob Doty, Carroll Mjelde, Jim Forbes, Stan Renninger, Bob Gibbons, and Jim Demetre, cox.  This crew defeated James Bay RC on Lake Washington and OSC on the Willamette to complete an undefeated season.  Tyee photo.



The second lightweight boat, left to right:  Don Roos, Bruce Nordstrom, Jim Olson, Jim Vik, Neil Jones, Jack Rogers, Bill Ford, Warren Peterson, Dick Wetmore, cox.  Tyee photo.



The "101" Club, established in 1933 as an auxiliary of the Washington Athletic Club, was and still is a major supporter of the Washington rowing program.  Here, in an article dated April 25, 1952 from the UW Daily, a new eight is dedicated the "101" in memory of the late Wendell Hemphill, former president of the club.



1) Way Enough", Recollections of a Life in Rowing;  Stan Pocock;  pg. 95.  2) Ibid, pg. 99.; 3) Correction of the name of Carlita MacDonald to Carmelia MacNichols, thank you Doug Clarke '56.  Doug was the athlete in this description, and his mother, Mona Clarke was good friends with Carmelia and introduced her to Stan. "She was a wonderful person and a great cook", remembers Doug.  Updated 10/26/2017



With a new (plastic) roof over the shellhouse porch and bunk beds lining the boat bays, Conibear Shellhouse became the official home to the crew team.  It may not have been the warmest place to sleep, and loud snoring tended to echo across the concrete walls, but nothing could beat waking up to the smell of fresh cedar emanating from George Pocock's shop.

The strong bonding of this team showed on the Estuary in May, when an underdog freshmen squad defeated Cal by two lengths, and the varsity stroked to a lop-sided win, winning by over six lengths.  Cal avoided the sweep by defeating the JV's.

The racing at Syracuse on June 19th was typically hot and humid.  The freshmen turned in a fierce effort, falling only to Cornell, but the JV's had to settle for fourth after a line-up change and an inability to manage the steamy conditions.  The varsity fell for the third straight year to Navy, with Cornell beating them to the line for second by about a half length, although after the race Navy would be disqualified for having an ineligible coxswain.

It was a difficult way to end the season but the results underscored the resurgence of east coast rowing, as Stork Sanford's Cornell crews won both the JV and freshmen events (and varsity, if you count the Navy disqualification).  Even so, Washington was close on the heels of these crews in all but the JV race, maintaining their reputation of being in the hunt at the end. 


Ted Frost, three year varsity letterman and 1954 captain.  Tyee photo.



A page from one of the issues of the 1954 Washington Oarsman, including advice that "Igorotes should be seen and not heard."  Guy Harper scrapbook.




In the Varsity Boat Club Lounge.   Phil Leanderson and Skip John.   Note the consistent picture of Conibear in the background (see similar photos from other eras with the photo hung in the same place) with the letter board and copper VBC mantle behind.  Guy Harper scrapbook.



The original letterboard in the lounge of Conibear Shellhouse, painted onto the maple walls in 1954.  Remembers Guy Harper: "We talked the UW into letting us move into the new shellhouse and re-start the Varsity Boat Club.  The UW Athletic Department gave us sleeping bunks which we initially put down in the shell storage area... but the UW soon decided to install a fiberglass cover (with no sides) on the upper deck and we moved the single beds up to that area and we were actually sleeping in the open!  We did have lots of blankets to stay warm during the winter.   We hired a cook and had a wonderful two years of meals with Mrs. Mac... as we called her. 

Stan and I did all the lettering on the plywood walls in the main room that showed all the oarsmen thru the years and the years that they rowed. The lettering on the panels was done with a pen having a little circular flat metal surface for making the letters.  The ink came from a bottle.  Stan had all the names and years...and we had to correct one that still shows the change to this day!  No ladder needed as they were at ground level...in fact, I kind of remember doing the lettering while the panel was flat on a table at one time.

We also could go into the adjacent area where George and Stan were making the shells and spend many hours discussing rowing and just visiting. The dump was right next door to the shellhouse however there really was no smell that I recall.  We were just thrilled to be living there at no cost... and with a truly wonderful cook!  We would have very big steaks the morning of a race...how’s that for a training meal!"  Updated 11/1/17 by Eric Cohen


George and Stan together in the shop.  Guy Harper scrapbook.




Chow time at the shellhouse.  Pouring the milk is Dick Green, and clockwise from him is Buz Birkland, Clay Robinson, Keith Riley, John Thompson, Don Voris and Ned Adams.  Guy Harper scrapbook.



The armada enters the cut.  Guy Harper scrapbook.


An issue of the Columns UW campus magazine.  Guy Harper:  "I played the ukulele all four years at the UW and took it on almost all the long train trips.   We would sing all the old songs all the way across the country.   I certainly hope this issue was no reflection on my attention to my rowing duties..."  Guy Harper scrapbook.




The 1954 Look Magazine Sports Photograph of the Year, taken from the Montlake Bridge, of Stan Pocock's freshmen squad rowing the Cut in the spring of 1954. It was this photo that would launch Josef Scaylea into the top echelon of photojournalists nationally, Scaylea accepting his award in front of a national TV audience on the legendary Ed Sullivan Show.  Scaylea would continue to follow the team throughout his career, his photographs featured in multiple national publications including Jim Ojala's early 2000's book Josef Scaylea, Ojala stating, "The wedding of Josef Scaylea's artistry and rowing's power and allure continued to bear fruit a half century after the match was made." Josef Scaylea photo; added 5/23



The varsity as they prepare to leave for the Dual at Berkeley, front row from left:  Paul Andonian (cox), keith Riely, Jim Howay and Al Stocker;  back row from left:  Guy Harper, Hans Becker, Dave Purnell, Lynn Lamb, Ted Frost.  Guy Harper scrapbook.




Unloading the rail car carrying the shells at Berkeley.  The rail cars used were chartered especially for the trip, long cars with doors at the rear to load the shells.  Guy Harper scrapbook.




The varsity after crossing the line on the Estuary:  Jim Howay-bow, Dave Purnell, Hans Backer, Al Stocker, Lynn Lamb, Ted Frost, Keith Rielly, Guy Harper and cox, Paul Andonian.  Guy Harper scrapbook.



Andonian takes a bath in the Estuary.  Guy Harper scrapbook.



The varsity at Cal, left to right: Jim Howay, Dave Purnell, Hans Backer, Al Stocker, Lynn Lamb, Ted Frost, Keith Rielly, Guy Harper; front - Paul Andonian.  Guy Harper scrapbook.



No cell phones in 1954 - but plenty of telegrams.  Guy Harper scrapbook.




At the Varsity Boat Club Banquet.  Guy Harper, Jim Demetre, Phil Leanderson, Skip John, Winlock W. Miller and Al Ulbrickson.  Miller, a longtime friend to the rowing program at Washington, is the namesake of Miller Hall, the Education building on campus, dedicated in 1954.   As a UW regent, Miller served the longest term in the history of the board, from 1913 to 1957 (excepting an eight-year period) and as chair of the Building and Grounds committee was known as the "protector of campus beauty." (1)  Guy Harper scrapbook.


Fifty years later and not a lot has changed.  Guy Harper scrapbook.




The first lightweights, left to right:  Roger Mehl, Bill Ford, Bob Gibbons, John Baker, Bob Doty, Carroll Mjelde, Paul Jacobsen, Warren Peterson, Dick Wetmore, (cox).  This crew raced the University of Oregon heavies and won by open water.  Tyee photo.



The first freshmen crew, back: Pete Berquist, Jay Decker, Jay Hall, Curt Smith;  front:  John McKie, Fred Stoll, Mickey McKeown (cox), Doug Wetter, Steve Clark.  Stan Pocock felt the achievements of this crew - first against Cal and second at Syracuse - represented "...my most successful year as a coach.  They beat crews they never should have and had fun in the bargain." McKeown is still known for his trickery and gamesmanship during his races at Washington.  Tyee photo.


The Olympian Hiawatha Milwaukee Railroad menu for the 1954 trip to the IRA regatta.  Guy Harper scrapbook.



The cover for the 52nd annual IRA Regatta.   Guy Harper scrapbook.





The start of the varsity race at the 1954 IRA, top to bottom:  M.I.T., Wisconsin, Columbia, Princeton, Cornell, Navy, Pennsylvania, Washington, Boston U., California, and Syracuse.  Tyee photo.


The finish about 16 minutes later (16:04) with Navy crossing first followed closely by Cornell and Washington.  In an odd twist, Navy was later disqualified due to an ineligible coxswain, Cornell was pronounced the winner, but the trophy never presented to either crew.  Tyee photo.


It was not uncommon in the mid-century for athletes on their way home to Seattle from the IRA to pick up new cars in Detroit for family or as a service.  Note here the $10 speeding ticket from the Ames Iowa Police Department.  Guy Harper:  "After the 1954 IRA race, Butch Thomas and I took delivery in Detroit of a new Ford that was purchased by my folks.  We both drove it back to Seattle for them, apparently at great speeds..."  Guy Harper scrapbook.



1) The University of Washington website: Liberal Arts Quad


Another huge turnout at Conibear in the fall of 1954 spoke to the continued popularity of the sport in the northwest.  Over 200 freshmen aspirants showed up at the crewhouse in October to try their chances at the eight seats available in the first boat.

The theme for 1955 might as well have been "eight seats", for throughout the racing season Washington crews consistently were finishing races with less than eight men operating at full capacity.  It began against Cal at the Dual on Lake Washington May 14th.  The Varsity and freshmen won in dominant fashion, by over six and nine lengths respectively.  The JV's raced their three miles neck and neck and came storming into the last 300 meters even, when the Washington bow man crabbed and was ejected.  A quick thinking Ivar Birkland, the Washington lightweight coach following the race in a launch, dove in to keep the exhausted young man afloat - while watching California row on by for the win.

The Western Sprints were inaugurated in 1955, the purpose to provide a larger schedule of races for the western crews and to promote the growth of the sport at other schools. (1)  The shortened sprint distance of 2000 meters was chosen in an effort to level the field for those programs without miles and miles of practice water.  Ulbrickson raced off his varsity and JV teams, with the JV squad winning the 2000 meter challenge and a trip to Los Angeles.

So just two weeks after the Cal Dual on a sweltering Newport Harbor, USC, UCLA, Washington, Cal, Oregon State, Stanford, UBC, and a specially invited Navy crew faced off for this varsity only event.  Washington cruised through the prelims with the fastest time, but met their match that same day in the final against Navy, who won by about a length.  The fading Huskies, punished by two races in the heat of the day, were even nipped at the finish by a resurgent Stanford squad.

On to Syracuse, where by now one would think the team would be prepared for the weather.  But in the varsity event, this time the number two man fainted from heat exhaustion midway through the race, and the crew limped in for fourth place.  The freshmen led their race handily from start to about 10 strokes from the finish, where Cornell, on the other side of the course, snuck by to win by feet.  The JV's, delayed an hour due to a lightning storm, could garner no better than fourth, also falling to Cornell, who swept the regatta.

Washington's results at Syracuse were beginning to fall into a consistent, frustrating pattern.  Always competitive, often ahead into the final mile, only to drop back severely by the finish due to exhaustion.  There were stories of men found stumbling through the woods foaming at the mouth after races, and every year there were at least one if not more debilitated so severely mid-race that it affected the efficiency of the team.  And although the heat of Syracuse was similar to other previous IRA venues, it was the humidity that was crushing.  Hydration, physical preparation, and pre-race strategy were to become high priorities, but unfortunately for these men, not high enough in 1955.

The year ended in bitter disappointment for the team.  This was a strong, experienced, and deep squad that did not meet their fullest potential by the end of the season.  The frustration at that was palpable at a moribund Loyal Shoudy banquet.  No pep talks would change it - only the opportunity to get back on the water and prepare for another year.


From the 1955 Tyee, one of the first of many Joseph Scaylea photographs to capture the sport.  Tyee photo.





Class Day 1955.  Tyee photo.



The class of '58, left to right, stroke to bow:  Lou Gellerman, John Nordstrom, Doug Lusher, John Halberg, Dick Erickson, Bob Sigler, Gerald Goodman, Bill McKinney, and John Bissett (cox).  Not pictured: Chuck Alm.  Tyee photo.


The frosh second boat, left to right:  Gene Jensen, Larry Erickson, Charles Bower, Roger MacDonald, John Sayre, Paul Meyer, Bill Richards, Dan Reitz, and Jim Brus (cox).  Tyee photo.


Workout on Union Bay with the Montlake Bridge, old crewhouse, and Husky Stadium in the background.  Tyee photo.



Stan Pocock resigned to pursue his passion for boat building after the 1955 season.  In his six seasons as freshmen coach, his crews won five Cal Duals,  three national titles, and two second-place finishes at the IRA.  "Winning as an end in itself was not the goal" said Pocock. "Trying to win was what counted." (2)  Tyee photo.





In September of 1986, Bill Tytus - now the owner of Pocock Racing Shells - sat down with Stan Pocock on the shores of Greenlake (while the master's nationals took place in the background, in which Stan was earlier competing) to discuss rowing (the conversation later moves to the Pocock shop).  And since Stan was immersed in the sport from birth, the discussion came easy and the wisdom and knowledge flowed effortlessly...

This interview is in two parts (part 2 is below) from the Seattle Public Library's Donald Schmechel Oral History Collection and is more than three hours long combined.  So sit down, grab your favorite beverage, and take a step back in time as Bill and Stan talk about the Pocock influence on the sport, how cedar shells were made, and what the sport meant to Stan as an athlete, coach, and boat-builder.  Thank you Seattle Public Libraries and hat tip to Al Mackenzie '68 for the link.



1) Masters Thesis: The History of Intercollegiate Rowing at the University of Washington through 1963, Al Ulbrickson Jr., pg. 168.  (2)  Way Enough", Recollections of a Life in Rowing;  Stan Pocock;  pg. 64


Fil Leanderson, freshmen coach at MIT under Jim McMillin (1934 - 37) was hired by Ulbrickson to replace Stan Pocock as freshman coach at Washington in the summer of 1955.  An ample group of young men waited for their opportunity in Old Nero to learn the ropes from this veteran oarsman turned coach.

By spring the freshmen had a consistently fast squad, as did Ulbrickson's varsity.  On May 12th the team met Stanford on Lake Washington for their first test of the year.  All three Washington crews won in dominant fashion, the freshmen and JV's by over twenty seconds.  A week later the men traveled by rail to the Bay Area to meet California;  this time the Washington crews won by over ten seconds in each race, although Al Ulbrickson called the windy, rough conditions on the Estuary the "worst water I've seen in twenty years." (1)

On May 28th, the team returned to meet the University of British Columbia on the Montlake 2000 meter course.  UBC had earlier won the Canadian National Games and finished runner-up to Canada's 1956 Olympic entry over 2000 meters.  Washington, training for the three mile distance since winter turnout began, was a decided underdog.  UBC cruised to an early lead, but the Huskies held close enough that by the time the crews entered the Cut they were even;  now in command, the varsity opened up their lead to win in 6:02.6, with UBC crossing the line at 6:07.8.  It was the third open water victory in three weeks for the team.

Once at the IRA's though, Ulbrickson said "We did O.K. on the west coast but I can see we're in a different league now." (2)  They were.  On June 16th, in a biting headwind (but cooler conditions - in the seventies) Cornell's varsity cruised to a third straight victory in the Challenge Cup, winning by lengths of open water over the closest runner-up Navy, with Wisconsin battling Washington to the line for third.  The freshmen finished third behind Vic Michaelson's (1938-40) Syracuse yearlings and second place Navy.

The JV's were the story of the day for Washington.  The crew fought hard against the headwind for a grueling three miles and drove home past Cornell to win the Kennedy Cup, completing an undefeated season.

Ulbrickson stayed with his varsity crews for the Olympic trials scheduled for June 28 -3oth on Lake Onondaga.  At the trials, the varsity set a course record in their repechage of 6:19.9 over the 2000 meter course to advance to the finals, but were defeated by Yale, Cornell, and Navy (the Great Eight back to defend their title) in a wind blown final.  Favored Cornell, as legend has it, raised their riggers an inch just before the final in an effort to avoid the heavy chop, but then were losing water over the blades on the drive.  Yale, soundly defeated by Cornell at the Eastern Sprints only weeks earlier, won the trials and ultimately won the gold over Canada by a half length at the Olympics in Melbourne, Australia nearly five months later (the games were in late November).

Ulbrickson also entered a four from the JV boat, and the crew advanced into the finals, but were defeated by a West Side Club crew and Princeton.

Notwithstanding the JV victory at Syracuse, western rowing was now consistently taking a backseat to the eastern schools.  Ebright - the master of the sprint race - did not even enter the trials, Cal finishing a dismal tenth in the varsity final at Syracuse and sixth in the JV's.  Stanford was on their way up, but were still a club crew, unsponsored by the university.  First Navy's Great Eight, and now an exceptional run by Stork Sanford's Cornell squad (the trials loss would be their only loss in four consecutive years) and the Yale Olympic crew put eastern universities firmly on top of collegiate rowing since Washington's sweep at Marietta in 1950.  Something needed to give for the Washington program - and it would come via the most unlikely of events.


The freshmen under the watchful eye of their new coach, Fil Leanderson.  Tyee photo.



The 1956 varsity.  Tyee photo.





The class of '58 sophomores receive their awards after winning Class Day, left to right, bow to stern:  Roger McDonald, Dick Erickson, John Halberg, Phil Kieburtz, Chuck Alm, Doug Lusher, John Nordstrom, Lou Gellerman, John Bissett (cox), and Ulbrickson.  Tyee photo.


The best race of the year for the varsity, the crew comes back on the 2000 meter Montlake Cut course to defeat a fine UBC team (center) and the Husky JV squad.  Tyee photo.




The varsity lengthening their lead early in the three mile race against Stanford on Lake Washington.  Tyee photo.



The JV's, future national champions, coasting across the line twenty-five seconds in front of Stanford in Seward Park.  Tyee photo.



The class of '59 looking for a Pocock to fix their watercraft, left to right:  Dan Duncan, Zac Elander, John Lind, Bob Svendsen, Ed McRory (cox), Lex Gamble, Dave Nordfors, and John Collins.  Tyee photo.



Left to right:  Frosh manager Loyal Snyder, Senior Frosh manager Jack Sjolseth, and Sophomore manager Harold Pebbles.  Tyee photo.



From the scrapbook of Dick Erickson, a telegram from his folks.  Husky Crew Foundation photo:  Erickson collection.



Another telegram, after the news arrived in the Northwest that the JV's had won.  A bag tag from the NY Central Railway extolling "the scenic water level route" is included.  Husky Crew Foundation photo:  Erickson collection.



Dick Erickson's Olympic Trials pass.  Dick was an alternate to the varsity eight and had to delay his summer work in Alaska to stay the extra two weeks.  Husky Crew Foundation photo:  Erickson collection.



1) Masters Thesis: The History of Intercollegiate Rowing at the University of Washington through 1963, Al Ulbrickson Jr., pg. 170.  (2) Ibid;  Syracuse Herald Journal, 6/12/56, p. 23.


Athletics at the University of Washington took a decided turn on August 20, 1956.  An announcement out of Denver, Colorado from the NCAA Council stated that due to football recruiting violations, "the University of Washington shall not be eligible to enter athletes or teams in National Collegiate Championship competition and the invitational and like events which cooperate with the NCAA...".  The ban would last two years.

It was not unforeseen.  Twenty-five football players at Washington were implicated in a pay for play scheme in the mid-50's that touched off similar findings at USC, UCLA and other schools.  It was one of the most widespread scandals in college football history, and led to the final report in August of '56 by the NCAA.  However, the Pacific Coast Conference (the precursor to the Pac-10) and administers of the punishment, distinctly kept rowing out of the ban due to the uniquely amateur status of the sport, the fact it was not NCAA governed, and because the IRA was the one opportunity for west to meet east in rowing.  So with that exemption, the crew prepared for the coming season with the same resolve and dedication that had produced champion crews of the past.

By February, with the team now in full workouts, news began to leak that the IRA was preparing to ban Washington from the regatta.  The news was stunning;  neither the NCAA nor the IRA had ever communicated that they would not accept the Pacific Conference ruling.  On February 16th the IRA made it official:  they would not invite Washington for the 1957 or 1958 regattas.

Seattle newspapers erupted at the story.  The legislature in Olympia drafted a resolution calling for the ban to be overturned.  Three separate appeals failed.  The NCAA and IRA, in attempting to explain their actions, ended in the now infamous quote from the president of the NCAA - "The innocent have to suffer with the guilty."  To that, the Seattle Times responded that the NCAA "and a faint-hearted response by the stewards of the race are the sleazy combination which, to put it bluntly, gave the Huskies the works."  A seething Al Ulbrickson was direct:  "It's a lot of double talk.  That's it.  We've had it." (1) 

It was a bitter pill to swallow.  The timing was bad, the justifications weak, and the verbal attempts to explain it worse.  The team sat there in the spring of 1957 dumbfounded at the fact that most of their junior and senior teammates would not row in the IRA's again.

Ulbrickson had his work cut out for him, but the challenge and injustice seemed to re-ignite the fire inside this great competitor.  His crews met California on Lake Washington in May and won by seven lengths in the varsity, seven and a half in the JV, and five in the freshmen races.  One week later at the Redwood City Yacht Harbor, the crews mowed down Stanford by over five lengths in the varsity, seven in the JV, and seven in the freshmen races.  It was an utterly dominant performance.

The crews stayed in training in hopes that their efforts would sway the decision makers at the IRA's.  It did not.  After realizing their fate, the team cleaned out their lockers and left for summer jobs. 

Stanford's varsity, five lengths behind Washington a month earlier, would go on to place third at the IRA's behind Cornell and Pennsylvania;   there were no west coast entrants in the JV or freshmen events.  Stork Sanford, Al Ulbrickson's classmate and friend, then took his victorious Cornell varsity to Henley and won the Grand Challenge Cup later that summer.

That Cornell victory in England was a big story.  Al Ulbrickson heard about it first hand, and went up to Orcas Island in the summer of '57 to ponder his options for the coming year.


Turnouts begin and end at the Conibear docks.  Tyee photo.




The 1957 undefeated varsity, bow to stern:  Les Eldridge, Dick Erickson, John Nordstrom, Phil Kieburtz, Chuck Alm, Ross Holmstrom, Andy Hovland, John Fish, and John Bissett (cox).  Tyee photo.



A victorious junior Class Day boat, bow to stern:  Rog Mac Donald, Dick Erickson, John Nordstrom, Phil Kieburtz, Chuck Alm, Charles Bower, Andy Hovland, Lou Gellerman, and John Bissett (cox).  Note the similarities to the varsity boat.  At least Dick kept his shirt on for this picture.  Tyee photo.


On the Redwood City course, Stanford falling victim to a team with fire in it's eyes.  Tyee photo.


The varsity mid-way through the race against Cal on Lake Washington.  Tyee photo.


The JV's were actually considered underdogs in their event against Cal, but are shown here crossing the line seven lengths to the good.  Tyee photo.


The start of the Cal-Washington freshmen race, with the Huskies already moving ahead.  Tyee photo.


The class of '60, left to right:  Henry Schmidt, Gene Phillips, Jim Smith, Dave Rohrbaugh, Dale Gorman, Bob Albin, Bob Frosh, Lee Waltersdorf,   Tyee photo.




The managers of '57, back: Ben Lovejoy, Dick Evans, Jack Sjolseth;  front:  Loyal Snyder, Dwight Shaw, and Bob Maizles.  Tyee photo.



1) Sport Magazine, June 1958, p.40


Al Ulbrickson had a whole summer on Orcas to study his options for 1958.  It was clear that neither the NCAA nor the IRA had any intention of lifting the sanctions on Washington.  He had felt since the 1956 JV victory that his crews were on the upswing, but the frustrations of that season paled in comparison to having a dominant squad in '57 that was, in his mind, so unjustly punished.  An alternative was not just required, but demanded.

It is unclear when the first whispers of a trip to Henley emerged, but by the winter the Stewards and Ulbrickson had agreed that if the varsity was worthy (i.e. undefeated), they should be sent to England.  No Washington crew had ever raced at the Henley Regatta (the '48 four won the Olympics at Henley but not as part of the Henley Regatta), and "On To Henley" became the rallying cry of the entire team.

In May the crew traveled south to meet the Bears on the Estuary for their first test.  The freshmen and JV's won handily, with the varsity cruising to an almost three length win to complete the third sweep in as many years.  Stanford subsequently came north and, along with a visiting UBC squad, were defeated in record times (wind aided) by all three Washington crews over the Seward Park course.  The varsity won in 14:07.1, and the JV's in 14:15.5 in their respective three-mile races.

The final race of the year came on May 31, with Washington facing UBC at the 2000 meter sprint distance, along with OSU.  Cruising down the Montlake Cut, Washington prevailed by a length over UBC, with OSU losing their stroke to a catapult-like crab in the final sprint.  That win sealed the deal for the varsity:  they would go to Henley.

The Stewards organized a classic "On To Henley" fund drive, similar to the first IRA drives set up by Hiram Conibear, and raised more than enough to send the varsity.  The Seattle community, equally frustrated with the sanctions heaped on the team, were generous in their gifts and eager to see the team compete overseas.  It was also about this time that it was becoming known that the Leningrad Trud Club - the Soviets - would be racing at Henley as well;  in a behind the scenes negotiation, the U.S. State Department began working with State of Washington, University, and Soviet administrations to broker a post-Henley, "people to people" race in Moscow.

The deal done, the invitation to race in Moscow came after the crew was already at Henley.  It was a good thing too, since morale was not high among the men.  The weather was awful;  it was constantly pouring, and the day before the draw the grounds men had pumped 10,000 gallons of water from the participant's tents.  It was cold and windy and wet, and some of the men had colds.  Even so, Ulbrickson said "the crew is in good shape physically."  Coxswain John Bissett quipped "You can say we are ready."

"Thunder and lightning signified the clash of the giants in the first round of the Grand" noted The London Times rowing reporter. (1)   Maybe so, but this race was over in a hurry, with the strong Soviet crew blowing out of the gates to get a three-quarter length lead by the quarter mile, and lengthening to, in Henley terms, a virtually insurmountable one length lead by the half mile.  The Russians then cruised down the thin course gradually drawing out to an open water win.  "We've rowed in worse weather than this" said Ulbrickson.  "We simply never got relaxed and swinging.  The boys were too tense.  They wanted it too much.  They were trying too hard".  (2) 

The Russians, never challenged in two subsequent races, went on to win the Grand by two and a half lengths.  After digesting the loss, the men began to focus on the trip to Moscow, and after a few more days of training on the Thames, flew east.  The Swiftsure, the team's shell, was flown to Helsinki, then taken aboard a Soviet train to Moscow.

Once behind the Iron Curtain, the men were treated like VIP's.  They were escorted on sight-seeing trips and were the guests of honor at various receptions and events.  Even so, the training on the open, choppy Khimki Reservoir was intense.  Ulbrickson was also visibly upbeat, seemingly more relaxed.  Maybe stroke John Sayre translated the thoughts of his coach when he said "We love that rough water - it felt just like Lake Washington." (3)

On July 19th, the Huskies lined up against Leningrad Trud - their adversary from Henley - and five other top Russian crews for a 2000 meter race across a wind-blown and choppy Khimki Reservoir course.  Into the quartering headwind, the crew got a much cleaner start than at Henley, with the Soviet Army crew and Leningrad only inching out into the lead.  Stroking at a thirty-four, Sayre maintained a solid run and the crew began to move out to a lead.  By midway, they were up by a half length over Leningrad with the rest falling back.  In the final 1000 meters, the Huskies pulled away to win by open water.  "The boat was really singing" said Bissett.  "The boys rowed it perfect."

The Soviet crowd cheered the Washington crew with a standing ovation.  The team was showered with gifts at a post event function.  The men had numerous pictures taken with their hosts.  Ulbrickson called the anonymous donor of the Swiftsure to see if it was OK to leave the shell as a gesture of goodwill.  It was.  He did.  It was a "people to people" event that rang true in both countries.

But though the political significance would be left to the politicians to debate, the athletic significance was clear.  The victory was a stunning comeback for Washington in many ways:  from the defeat at Henley to victory in Moscow; from the depths of a dubious probation to international acclaim.  Years later Ulbrickson, explaining why he considered this season the highlight of his career, said "One item made the Moscow race a little more gratifying...we came back from a decisive defeat.  No coach could have asked for more."  The athletes that rowed the Swiftsure that day carved their name into the Washington Hall of Fame;  inducted in 1984, it was this crew that opened the doors of international competition to all future generations of Washington oarsmen. 


Paul Meyer '58, like so many rowers at Washington, never rowed in one of the top boats in his career on the team.  But his love for the sport ran deep, and it became a major influence throughout his life. By the mid-60's he was helping found the rowing program at Pacific Lutheran University, becoming the team's first head coach (their first eight-oared shell being the 1936 Olympic Champion Husky Clipper, given to PLU to jump-start their program by the UW). To this day, the winner of the annual PLU vs UPS Dual Race - now over fifty years running - receives the Meyer Trophy in his honor.

Paul rowed his entire life following his introduction to the sport at Washington, and in an article in 1965 in the Tacoma News Tribune talked about the human value in the sport: "Crew is a thinking man's sport. To be good, much thought, as well as muscle, must be put into every single stroke. There must be intensive coordination of muscles, legs, back, arms, and torso perfectly timed and in unison with seven other men in the shell. Full body and mind use is the challenge. Perfection is always beyond the oarsman; never such a thing as perfect.

"Crew is strong in values. It is a discipline with a burning desire to excel, coupled with an ability to push to the limits of human endurance and still maintain poise and concentration. It is a way of life, builds confidence, demands sacrifice. When a boat is really moving together, the rowing sustains the oarsman and he feels he can beat the wind. It combines the pleasure of conditioned physical and mental exertion with a resultant ethereal sensation. Crew teaches achievement of a single purpose, with complicated objectives to accomplish. A great and determined effort is produced, resulting in unity within the squad. This unity is very deep.  There is a unique feeling of camaraderie among crewmen; it extends into the entire rowing world.

"One wonders why a crewman stays with the sport, especially after a cold, windy day when he has been showered by crested, wind-whipped whitecaps; felt the cold spray from an oar which cut a wave on the recovery; seen ice form on the outrigger. In a sweaty condition, he should wonder at the cold around him. Crew, in such moments, reassures the inner man.  The strong willed and the determined continue. The less fortunate find other endeavor. Crew teaches one to do a thing for the sheer love of doing."  Added 8/23, Thank you Lee Corbin



The video linked here is from Seattle's KOMO News 4, the replay of the 1987 Windermere Cup featuring the Soviet Union.  But what makes this one hour video so special is the return of Keith Jackson (with local legend Bruce King), and the extensive archived footage from 1958 and interviews with all of the members of the '58 team.  From the very beginning the production works to contrast the '58 team to the new event (1987 was the first Opening Day sponsored by Windermere), but of particular interest is the '58 story, as told by Jackson and members of the team, from 3:20 - 17:40 of the video. From 20:00 - 25:00 is an interview with Dick Erickson sprinkled with comments from all nine members of the team in town for a reunion. The whole video is about an hour long, but every minute is worth it, including Bob Ernst (coaching the UW women, the '87 women's team being one of the best ever) at 29:20.  A great video highlighting two distinct places/times in our history, thank you KOMO for preserving the video!  Posted 7/19/15


The 1958 Cal Dual varsity, left to right John Fish, Andy Hovland, Ross Holmstrom, Chuck Alm, Phil Kieburtz, Gene Phillips, Dick Erickson, John Nordstrom, John Bissett (cox).   Tyee photo.



The varsity rests on Lake Washington.  Left to right:  Bissett-cox, Sayre-stroke,
Hovland-7, Gellerman-6, Alm-5, Kieburtz-4, Phillips-3, Erickson-2, Svendsen or Nordstrom - we can't tell from this picture - at bow.  Tyee photo.


On their way to New York on the first leg - of the first overseas trip by air - by a Washington crew.



From New York to a stopover in Shannon, Ireland aboard a Qantas Lockheed 1049 Super Constellation.  Dick Erickson later noted: "The constant drone of the propeller and reciprocal engines and the low-altitude flying comes back as a rather distasteful memory."


Training on the Thames.


Keith Jackson, a reporter for KOMO TV4 in Seattle, traveled with the team to Henley and on to Moscow to broadcast the race back to the States live via radio.



The team raised enough money to bring a straight four of JV oarsmen.  Bow to stern, the men were John Nordstrom, Chuck Bowers, Roger MacDonald, and John Fish.  The crew won their first race, but lost to the eventual English winner in the semi-final.  After the race at Henley, an ailing Gene Phillips was replaced by Roger MacDonald in the three seat of the eight, and Phillips and John Fish went on to Moscow as spares.  Once there the two entered a pairs race prior to the main event, using a borrowed Russian craft and finishing third.  "We rowed all six lanes trying to steer that thing" said Phillips.


In a downpour of rain and hail, Leningrad Trud enters the Henley Enclosures firmly in command.  Ulbrickson felt that being in the outside lane would cost his crew at least a length due to the swollen condition and speed of the river, but backed off of that after the race, saying "Only thing I can say is they were a superior crew today."


The opening ceremonies on the Khimki Reservoir.  The grandstands were part of the aquatics center that featured a state of the art swimming and diving facility as seen in the picture.  Interestingly enough, Khimki Reservoir was also the main drinking water source for Moscow.


Washington powering past the grandstands leading by open water. The rough water and windy conditions played to the strengths of the Northwest crew and the Pocock shell - the Swiftsure - that they rowed.


Crossing the finish line.  The Russian coxswain had a distinctive "whoot-da" he would say with the swinging of each stroke.  About 500 meters into the race, the men could hear his voice raise half an octave and become more frantic;   it was at that point that the Washington shell lifted out of the water and moved to a decisive lead.


The now legendary "Rowing a Race is an Art" message sent by George Pocock, written on the paper that wrapped the oars, and found by the men when they arrived at Henley.


1) Henley Royal Regatta, A Celebration of 150 Years, Richard Burnell, pg. 134.  (2) The Seattle Times, 7/3/58.  (3) Ibid, 7/16/58.

When I rowed and lived at the crewhouse, life was at its best.  Fall rowing was fun and at times wet and cold. I only weighed 165 lbs but had the chance on a Friday in October to row #2 in a boat with, I believe, Lou Gellerman, Chuck Alm and Dick Erickson.  It was a late Fall afternoon, flat calm with a little haze in the air.  Remember back then there was no 2000 meters it was either 2 or 3 miles.  That day we rowed up to Sand Point Air Station.  As we were resting we all got to talking about what we were going to do tonight a date, a beer or two at the U Way tavern etc.  There were 7 boats in our group.  We headed back for the shellhouse and stopped at the light on the point entrance.  We were the # 1 boat.  The haze had become a little more intense. Coach Al said he was going to start with the # 7 boat down the line, we were last to start.  We caught everyone and to this day I can remember that there was not a sound but the swoosh of the blade in the water and the bubbles under the hull.  No oar lock noise no rocking.  We were 8 guys rowing in perfect timing, heads in line and hull speed. I was too small for varsity but rowed lightweight and got my letter. I still wear my VBC cap. That one Friday afternoon in October to me is what rowing is all about.

Michael Metcalf

In the 1950's the northern edge of the crewhouse property bordered the southern edge of the Montlake dump, a huge, open-air garbage facility.  Dump workers often parked bulldozers near the crewhouse.  "Most of the guys learned how to drive a bulldozer" said Dick Erickson. "And I'm sorry, but if you're going to leave a bulldozer sitting 100 yards from the crewhouse... why it was just a natural thing to wonder 'Gee, how does it work?'"  They wondered too how a seaplane worked after it was discovered that a student flew one to school and parked it near the crewhouse.   "Not only did we learn how to start it but that thing was taxied around Laurelhurst one day", Erickson said.

Dick Rockne, The Seattle Times, 6/2/95, "Husky Fun House"


A resurgent group of men met Ulbrickson at the crewhouse in the fall of 1958.  The Seattle community had welcomed the 1958 crew back as heroes;  there were award ceremonies and man of the year banquets and various events hailing the victory in Russia.  Every politician worth their salt, at the height of the Cold War, wanted a photo op.  The Washington crew team was very, very popular, and so was Al Ulbrickson.

The crew also knew that 1959 would be the first year to get back to Syracuse.  Freshmen coach Fil Leanderson, and his assistant coaches John Bissett and Dick Erickson, had the men out of Old Nero early, with eleven shells of freshmen on the water within two weeks.  Frosh turnouts then went to two afternoon sections, one group at 3:15, and the other at 4:35.   Leanderson would take three shells, and Erickson and Bissett would take two boat's worth in the barge, and the oarsmen would rotate from day to day.

In January came the announcement that Al Ulbrickson had decided to step down as head rowing coach at Washington.  In his letter of resignation, Ulbrickson noted "After last summer's campaign, I felt emotionally bankrupt and without the enthusiasm necessary to do the type of work I want to and to which the University and and the rowing squad are entitled."  He continued: "I am deeply appreciative of the confidence and the trust (the University)  have place in me over the years.  This goes double for the thousands of parents who have allowed, and encouraged, their sons to row, and to those same sons who made our rowing so successful.  It is to justify this confidence, more than any single cause, that I have decided now is the time for change." (1)

That just about said it all.  Disbelief and shock among his current and former oarsmen was met with the understanding that after thirty-two years of coaching, Al needed a break - particularly given the spectrum of events of the last two years.

So it was that Fil Leanderson, the Olympic bronze medallist from the 1952 crew, former captain, former MIT freshmen coach, former lightweight and freshmen coach at Washington, ascended to become the sixth head coach to lead the program.  Leanderson hired John Bissett, the 1958 varsity coxswain, as his assistant and freshman coach.

The team didn't lose a beat.  In their first race, they swept OSU at the sprint distance on Lake Washington (the varsity rowed the 2000 meters in 6:14, and in the JV event, as a testament to the depth on this squad, the third boat won the event).  The team then swept the Beavers again on the Willamette a few weeks later.  At the traditional three mile Dual with California, the team romped to open water wins in all events.  On May 16th, the crew traveled to Redwood City to meet Stanford at three miles, winning by no less than seven lengths in each event.

The men left for Syracuse confident after such domination on the coast, but they wilted under the heat again.  The varsity lost a member to exhaustion in the last mile after leading by open water through their race, limping home in fifth with seven men.  The JV's also faded badly, with California cruising by to win.  The frosh lost to a good Cornell team, and rowed a strong race to finish second.

It was a tough way to end the year for Washington.  The crews just could not shake the bugaboo that had chased them since the IRA's moved to Syracuse in 1953.  Even so, in his first year as head coach, Fil Leanderson still took home the Ten Eyck trophy for overall team performance, a deserved accolade for this deep and dedicated group of men.

For Ky Ebright, the master of the sprint race and thirty-five year coach at Cal, these would be his last races as head coach.  Forced into retirement at age sixty-five, Ky stepped aside as Jim Lemmon, his assistant since 1947 and freshmen coach since 1954, became head coach at Cal.

Thus came the end of the Ulbrickson-Ebright era - a remarkable time in the history of collegiate rowing.  These two men and their crews dominated the sport from the late twenties to the early fifties, combining for thirteen varsity national championships, six west coast sweeps at the IRA, and five separate Olympic gold medals and one bronze over five Olympics.  Their competitive drive made each program work that much harder.  Yet it is difficult to encapsulate the success these men had.  Beyond the quantifiable came the thousands of young men, those that never sat in a varsity boat, leave the sport better men for the experience.  Surely that is the legacy these coaches wanted, and that which truly defines them as great.


Heading out for practice on a typical fall afternoon.  Tyee photo.




The Washington varsity powering to a lop-sided win over Stanford on the Redwood City course on May 16.  Tyee photo.


The JV's winning by a margin that suggests there was something seriously awry in the Stanford shell.  Tyee photo.


The class of '62, left to right:  Flint, Wyberg, Parrington, Jurden, Philllips, McMillan, Nordstrom, Rider, Amundson (cox).  Tyee photo.




Washington and California at the finish of their race on Lake Washington, a race the Husky varsity won by about three lengths.  In the JV race, a stuck slide in the Cal boat turned a close race into a rout by the Huskies, a loss which Cal would repay a month later in Syracuse with a come from behind victory at the IRA.  Tyee photo.


The JV's left to right, top to bottom:  Les Eldridge, Bob Diehl, Jim Bingman, Frank Hasman, Dave Rohrbaugh, John Lind, Dave Kinley, Brian Wagar.  Tyee photo.


The menu from the aptly named "Olympian" Hiawatha, the train the athletes took across country to Syracuse. Apparently they were served a lot of Hard Rolls.  John Wilcox scrapbook.


The IRA varsity, left to right: Hank Schmidt, Dave Fulton, Ed Argersinger, Jim Christenson, John Wilcox, Fred Raney, John Lind, Bob Svenson and Ed McRory, cox.  Note some familiar, second generation names in this crew.  Photo courtesy John Wilcox.



The 1959 Ten Eyck Trophy, awarded to the 1959 Team National Champions from Washington.  WRF Photo.





The program from the 57th IRA regatta, the coveted Challenge Trophy emblazoned on the cover. John Wilcox scrapbook.





Various varsity oarsmen left to right, top to bottom:  Bob Svendsen, Gorham Nicol, Fred Raney, Ed Argersinger, Jim Christenson, John Wilcox, Dave Fulton, and Henry Schmidt.   Tyee photo.



Varsity coxswain Ed McRory, left, and JV cox Ron Wolfkill, right.  Tyee photo.



John Bissett became frosh coach in the winter of 1959, replacing Fil Leanderson.  Tyee photo.





Fil Leanderson became the sixth head coach at Washington since 1903 in the winter of 1959.  Said Leanderson of replacing Ulbrickson:  "Those are some pretty big shoes I'm supposed to fill." (2)  Tyee photo.




Why a picture of a Cal coach in the Washington Rowing History?  Well, for starters, Carroll "Ky" Ebright learned rowing as a coxswain under Hiram Conibear from 1914 to 1917 (see 1910's).  Ebright subsequently was an assistant coach under Ed Leader and Rusty Callow, and went to California at the behest of the Stewards in 1924 to save that program from extinction (see 1920's).

But mostly he belongs here because no single man is more responsible for the competitiveness of west coast rowing than Ky Ebright, his grit and determination defining the California crews that rowed for him.  Ebright did save the Cal program from extinction - more than once - and by doing so kept alive a rivalry - and a Washington program that would be little without it - that remains the essence of amateur athletics today.


Al Ulbrickson was a winner.  He established that early on as stroke of the IRA National Champion 1924 and 1926 Washington varsity.  His hallmark was his quietness, prompting the local papers to crown him the "Dour Dane".  Yet dour he was not;  tough, driven, intense, maybe.  But not dour.  Highly admired by the men he coached, at his retirement one of his former athletes wrote:  "With your uncompromising way of life as an example, your honest urging to 'give the best that's in us' - stressing the need for teamwork...this lasts much longer and sinks much deeper into the lives of the men you have touched...perhaps our practice of these values is the greatest tribute we can give." (3)   Tyee photo.


1) Masters Thesis: The History of Intercollegiate Rowing at the University of Washington through 1963, Al Ulbrickson Jr., pg. 180.  (2) Ibid, pg.181., (3) Ibid, pg. 182.

Sources for the 50's:  University of Washington, The Tyee, 1951 -1960;  VBC Log Book, 1936-1955, MSCUA;  VBC Log Book, 1954-1955, MSCUA;  Henley Royal Regatta, A Celebration of 150 Years, Richard Burnell;  The Log of Rowing at the University of California, 1870-1987, Jim Lemmon;  Ready All!  George Yeoman Pocock and  Crew Racing, Gordon Newell;  "Way Enough", Recollections of a Life in Rowing;  Stan Pocock; Masters Thesis: The History of Intercollegiate Rowing at the University of Washington through 1963, Al Ulbrickson Jr.;  Sport Magazine, June 1958;  The Seattle Post Intelligencer, various articles (specifics available on request); The Seattle Times, various articles (specifics available on request);  A Short History of American Rowing, Thomas Mendenhall;  Interviews with Stan Pocock, Irma Erickson, Art Griffin, and Carl Lovsted, 1/03.

Special thanks to Stan Pocock and Al Ulbrickson for providing the key sources of information for the 50's, Guy Harper, Carl Lovsted, and to Andy Hovland for compiling the balance of information and pictures for the 1958 season.

Home | Contact Us | © 2001 - 2023 Washington Rowing Foundation